Sunday, September 5, 2010

Marvelous Mysteries!

Buttoned up in my trench coat, plastic pipe caught between my teeth, pink panther's theme song firmly embedded in my brain... :) 


This Library Detective is taking a break from a week of mystery read-alouds and Dewey Decimal Detective work to share a few of our Top Secret favorites:


Junior Detectives: (Pre K- 1st grade)


Olivia and the Missing Toy  by Ian Falconer

     I have discussed the wonders of this spunky pig before, and this story is no different.  Will Olivia discover the whereabouts of her beloved toy?  What does her baby brother William have to say about all of it?  Reading detectives, you must check this story out and find out for yourselves!


 


Miss Nelson is Missing By Harry Allard

     In the perfect pairing of text and pictures, this classic is a must for any classroom or home library!  The kids in room 207 are terrible troublemakers.  Spitballs, paper airplanes, headstands at story hour... you get the idea.  Sweet Miss Nelson is at her wits end, until with the help of an ugly black dress and evil Viola Swamp, those students learn a lesson they will never forget.  This book has been around since my childhood, but its still fantastic!

For Intermediate Inspectors: (Advanced 1st- 3rd graders)


High Rise Private Eyes series by Cynthia Rylant

      Cynthia Rylant, creator of Henry and Mudge has made another great transitional chapter series combining humor, strong characters and a bit of fun mystery.  The story pictured above is a Fairyland favorite, especially the line: "You slap jack?"   


The Web Files by Margie Palatini

   
      I've always been partial to word play, just because I'm a word nerd and my grandpa is the king of puns... however Palatini may have him beat in this glorious dragnet spinoff.  So much fun and begs to be read aloud or acted out!  The author has readers theaters available on her website:  http://margiepalatini.com/whats-l3-2/readers-theater/  

For Practiced Private Eyes: (Advanced 3-5th)


The Sisters Grimm series (currently 8 titles)

      In a unique mix of action, adventure, mystery and fairy tales come to life, Michael Buckley has crafted an addictive group of stories.  Case in point, I read 1-4 over my spring break a few years ago!  The characters, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, two orphans from New York City, discover their long lost grandmother.  Granny Relda turns their world upside down when she reveals to them that as Grimms, great great great (on and on) grandchildren of the Brothers Grimm, they now have jobs as detectives, keeping the peace in Fairyport Landing.  And if you haven't guessed yet, Fairyport is inhabited by fairy tale characters.  Written with humor, a quick pace and wonderfully crafted characters (I love daphne!!!), each story will leave readers craving another.

  

The Brixton Brothers Series by Mac Barnett (second book coming out soon!)

        Move over Hardy Boys, Steve Brixton is on the case!  In a fast paced read full of humor, surprise, and kung fu librarian government agents :) (yes I did just write that) this book could pull in even the most reluctant of readers.



The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups by David Wisniewski


    I would lose my Library Detective badge if I didn't close out with one of my favorite kids books since college.  All of those rules grown ups "make up" like don't jump on the bed, don't blow bubbles in your milk, eat your vegetables are brought into new alarming light with this expose.  For example: though parents make you think you shouldn't jump on the bed is because you might get hurt, the real reason to not jump on the bed is that you might wake up the mattress.  Really?  No.  Hilarious and full of fun absurd details?  Absolutely!

I know that's longer than my normal list, but I couldn't stop until I listed them all!  Mission accomplished.


Happy Reading!

"The Inspector"



No comments: